Mary Burton is the acclaimed author of almost fifty novels, including romantic suspense, contemporary romance, and historical romances.
Her books feature strong heroines, powerful heroes, and nail-biting suspense. With so many titles to choose from, readers may find it difficult to decide where to begin with Mary Burton’s work.
To help readers find their way through her expansive bibliography, this article provides Mary Burton’s books in the order list.
About Mary Burton
Mary Burton is a bestselling mystery writer of American Novelists and romance writers.
After graduating from Virginia’s Hollins University, Mary found success as a marketing consultant before making her transition to a full-time writer.
She has since written stories that are connected by characters, place, and members of the International Thriller and Mystery Writers of America.
Her works include 45 novels under the name Mary Burton and five novellas as Mary Ellen Taylor.
Richmond Books In Order
Mary Burton’s novel series, Richmond Novels, I’m Watching You follows a small town in Virginia and its inhabitants who are trying to navigate their lives amid a quickly changing landscape.
The novel follows the journey of each character as they traverse life changes, friendships, and unusual circumstances.
- Enticing novel that takes the reader on an intense journey.
- May not be suited for some readers as the content is quite intense, and it is a thriller.
Dead Ringer is the second in the Richmond Novels series by author Mary Burton.
In this thrilling book, readers are taken on a heart-pounding journey of suspense and danger as the Detective attempts to solve an unsolved murder case in Richmond, Virginia.
When an old corpse is found with a single bullet wound, the detective begins to uncover secrets that go deeper than what they ever expected.
- Captivating storyline with plot twists that go beyond the expectations of the author.
- Some readers prefer the first novel in the series to the second.
The third novel in the Richmond series by Mary Burton is Dying Scream, Richmond, Virginia is the setting for Mary Burton’s spine-tingling thriller novel Dying Scream.
The novel follows homicide detective Gage Hudson who has been assigned the task of hunting down a ruthless and dangerous serial killer who has been leaving a string of disturbing murders in his wake.
- Well-written novel in the thriller and detective world.
- Not as good as the first two novels in the series, but overall a great end to the series.
Senseless Books In Order
Senseless is the first in Mary Burton’s Alexandria Novels, a gripping thriller series centering around detective Deacon Garrison.
Ten years ago, Eva Rayburn and her college sorority sisters were gathering to celebrate the end of their school year.
Little did they know, it was the beginning of a nightmare that Eva would never forget.
- A different take on a classic thriller that takes the reader down a twisting path with the characters.
- Some readers have said that the book is hard to follow at times, which isn’t applicable to everyone.
Merciless is a thrilling novel that follows a terrifying killer’s deadly work. The Senseless Novels series, penned by Mary Burton, is a thrill ride full of mystery, vengeance, and suspense.
In the second book of the series, Merciless, a serial killer is on a mission – harvesting skeletons and adding them to his eerie collection.
Every one of these macabre pieces is flawlessly preserved and presented like a trophy of skill by the killer.
- Exactly the type of novel you want from a thriller!
- Might be too gruesome for some readers to handle.
Before She Dies is the third novel in the Senseless series of suspense novels by Jayne Burton, and it has generally been met with positive reviews from readers and critics alike.
Before She Dies by Mary Burton is a chilling romantic suspense novel that follows a serial killer obsessed with the occult.
- Well-written piece of work that adds to the series overall very well.
- It’s the last book of the series!
Texas Ranger Books In Order
Mary Burton’s Texas Rangers, The Seventh Victim is a thrilling and action-packed novel that follows the same eponymous law enforcement organization as they serve justice in the East Texas region.
The Seattle Strangler is one of the most notorious criminals in American history, and his reign of terror began seven years ago.
Despite a lengthy and exhaustive search, he was never apprehended by authorities.
- An enticing thriller that captures a gruesome yet thought-provoking serial killer’s mind.
- Different from her other series of books, but it is a good series nonetheless.
The Texas Rangers, No Escape by Mary Burton is an enthralling novel that follows the stories of three dangerous and brave law enforcement officials from the state of Texas.
Harvey Day Smith has been one of the most notorious serial killers of our time.
His cold, calculating actions have terrified even the most hardened criminals and his deadly reputation immediately precedes him.
- The book has In-depth characters and the author has written them to link well within the story.
- The book goes down a dark path which may be distressing for some readers.
Mary Burton’s Texas Rangers, You’re Not Safe explores how all too often good people can commit unthinkable, monstrous crimes and how those who live in our society can still hide such abhorrent acts so easily.
The novel also highlights how unforgiving some victims and survivors can be – while they may eventually forgive, they will never forget what happened to them or their loved ones.
- Another great addition to the series that wraps up the storylines well.
- Some of the descriptions are quite horrific, so be advised.
Morgans Of Nashville Books In Order
Morgans Of Nashville, Cover Your Eyes is the first book in Mary Burton’s unique series.
Public defender Rachel Wainwright is determined to clear the name of a man convicted decades previously of a crime she believes he didn’t commit.
Competing against a ticking clock, she must prove his innocence before his release date arrives.
- The author leaves the reader feeling intrigued and wanting to know more throughout this novel.
- Some readers have said that it can be confusing at times, but nevertheless it’s a good read.
The Morgans of Nashville, Be Afraid is a sequel to the Morgan family saga that first began with the original novel by Mary Burton.
It was a frightening scene when police arrived at the house, ready to rescue five-year-old Jenna Thompson, who had been held till then in a dark closet. What happens next?
- The characters have been written well, and the dynamics are astounding.
- Different from her usual series of novels, but just as enticing in terms of how thrillers work.
Mary Burton is the author of the third installment of the Morgan’s Nashville series, I’ll Never Let You Go. Leah Carson was barely two years into her marriage when it all went wrong.
Four years ago, Leah’s husband Philip brutally attacked her. He stabbed her twenty-three times and left her for dead before fleeing the scene.
- Intense plot that leaves readers wanting more out of the story.
- Not available in a large expanse of languages, unfortunately.
In the Vulnerable installment, On a summer day, three high-school friends went hiking on the wooded trails near Nashville. However, only one of them ever returned.
Despite five years of searching, there has been no trace of the two other teens who had set out that day.
- The character dynamics work well with the plot and the direction of the story.
- Some bits don’t necessarily add up throughout the novel as well as they should.
Forgotten Files Books In Order
Mary Burton is the author of the Forgotten Files, The Shark: A Mystery Novel.
The Shark is a thrilling tale of mystery and suspense, following Virginia state trooper Riley Tatum as she investigates the grisly murder scene of a teen prostitute.
After discovering that the victim once suffered similar circumstances to what Riley experienced when she was a teenage runaway, including being kidnapped, drugged, and left unconscious in the streets, her mission becomes even more personal.
- A dark, disturbing thriller that has some fantastic twists and turns.
- Some readers have said the book is far too long and could have been condensed.
The Forgotten Files I See You novel is a gripping, suspenseful thriller that follows FBI special agent Zoe Spencer as she attempts to crack an unsolved cold case.
Her unique skill is her ability to recreate the faces of murder victims through sculpture; a highly scientific, yet intimate process that entails connecting with each person she identifies on a deeper level.
- Captivating thriller that combines romance in a way that works well.
- Some readers have said that the main characters felt rather disconnected at times.
Mary Burton’s Forgotten Files, Never Look Back is the final book in this exciting and suspenseful trilogy.
When agent Melina Shepard decides to go undercover to investigate, a pattern of missing women emerges, and she quickly finds herself in over her head.
- Readers find that this novel is so enticing that you could read it as a standalone easily.
- The storyline could have been better connected.
Montana Books In Order
Burn You Twice by Mary Burton is set in a small Montana college town and follows the story of Joan Mason as she tries to reconnect with her past, ten years after it was violently ripped away from her.
After evading an arsonist’s flames, Joan fled the town with barely enough time to collect her things.
Although a decade has passed since then, Joan’s personal life is still affected by that fateful night when she lost so much.
- Romance suspense is a hard genre to write well, and the author does this spectacularly.
- Some readers have said the book lacks depth.
The Montana Series, Near You by Mary Burton is a thrilling novel of obsession and revenge.
Forensic psychologist Ann Bailey has been forced to team up with Montana Highway Patrol officer Bryce McCabe to solve the murders of two women whose bodies were set on fire.
- The author knows how to ramp up the tension well with suspense.
- Some readers have said that it just doesn’t live up to her previous books.
Standalone Mary Burton Books In Order
- In Dark Waters
- The Arsonist
- Wise Moves
- Cold Case Cop
- The Last Move
- Her Last Word
- Cut and Run
- Don’t Look Now
- The Lies I Told
Mary Burton is an acclaimed author of suspenseful and thrilling novels.
With her books, readers can expect to be drawn into a twisted web of lies and deception as they follow the stories of brave protagonists who will stop at nothing to bring justice to those in need.
From the Forgotten Files Trilogy to her standalone novels, Mary Burton’s books are sure to keep readers on the edge of their seats.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Books Has Mary Burton Published?
Mary Burton is an extremely accomplished author, having published 48 books over the course of her career.
Her books span a wide range of genres including romance, suspense, crime, and horror.
- 20 Must-Read Genre-Blending Literary Fiction Books - May 26, 2023
- 32 Gripping Epic Fantasy Books To Transport You To Another World - May 26, 2023
- 12 Books Like Red, White, And Royal Blue You Will Love - May 17, 2023