Harlan Coben is an extremely popular award-winning American author best known for his psychological thrillers.
A master of his trade, Coben has published well over 35 mystery novels that typically feature crime, mystery, betrayal, loss, and murder.
The plots of Coben’s novels typically involve the resurfacing of past mysteries and unresolved events. More often than not, this includes murders, twists, and fatal accidents.
To date, Coben has more than 80 million books in print worldwide.
A #1 New York Times best-seller, Harlan Coben exploded onto the psychological thriller scene in 1995 when he published his first Myron Bolitar novel.
This was the first of 11 novels that made up the Myron Bolitar series.
Hugely popular and set to be adapted into a Netflix series, the Myron Bolitar series tells the story of the titular character, former NBA player, and sports agent Myron Bolitar.
The series is packed with intriguing characters, mystery, humor, and in typical Coben fashion murder.
In this guide, I will be showing the order in which you should read the series. If you’re keen to read the Myron Bolitar series, stick around!
About Myron Bolitar
Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series is one of four book series the author published. It also happens to be the largest series and his most popular.
Featuring murder, crime, mystery, betrayal, and past trauma, Myron Bolitar follows sports agent Myron Bolitar.
Myron Bolitar is a self-deprecating, lanky, former NBA star turned sports agent. He has a big heart, a fabulous sense of humor, and a generous manner.
It is this generous manner that often sees him playing detective for his clients.
The Myron Bolitar series takes the reader on a journey into Myron Bolitar’s world.
Each novel features interesting characters, unique relationships, and a new problem that needs solving.
More often than not, Bolitar becomes an accidental detective, having to solve various mysteries.
Some of the themes you can expect to encounter in the series’ novels include death, disappearance, love, loyalty, and tragedy.
Some of the most influential characters in the series are Esperanza Diaz, Jessica Culver, and Greg Downing.
Myron Bolitar Book Series In Order
Deal Breaker is the first novel in the Myron Bolitar series.
Published in 1995, the story follows Bolitar on his quest to uncover the truth behind the disappearance and reappearance of his client’s ex-girlfriend.
For a woman that’s supposed to be dead, she seems very much alive!
- This novel perfectly introduces us to the main characters.
- In typical Coben fashion, this story is packed with mystery and events from the past.
- Bolitar’s wisecracks and jokes can actually get a little irritating at times.
The second book in the series is Drop Shot. In this novel, Myron Bolitar finds himself caught up in a mysterious murder case involving a famous tennis star.
Things quickly take a dark turn when Bolitar discovers a link between the victim and another tennis player.
This intriguing story features a jealous mother, the mob, and corrupt U.S. politicians.
- This novel features a murder mystery.
- The characters in Drop Shot are incredibly interesting.
- Some readers might find it too easy to solve the mystery.
In Fade Away, Myron Bolitar finds himself investigating the disappearance of his former competitor Greg Downing.
With signs of a violent struggle and the past memories of a woman both men loved, it is down to Bolitar to crack the mystery.
Will Bolitar find Downing? Will he rekindle his love with an old flame along the way?
- Fade Away gives us a deeper understanding of Bolitar’s past.
- This is a fast read loaded with twists and turns.
- Some reviewers have stated that this novel feels a bit far-fetched.
Back Spin was released just two years after the first Myron Bolitar novel. In Back Spin, Bolitar faces a race against time to find the young son of a pro golfer.
In his hunt to find the kidnapped child, Myron unearths some dark mysteries from 23 years ago that could change everything.
Things turn sour when a murder occurs during his search.
- This novel will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
- If you love a good mystery, this story is perfect.
- If anything, this story might contain too many twists and red herrings.
One False Move sticks to the common themes on display throughout the Myron Bolitar series by following Myron as he helps Brenda Slaughter.
Brenda Slaughter is a pro basketball player with a missing father and a tragic past.
As Myron helps solve her father’s disappearance, the two let things get a little too personal. Could Myron be about to lose everything if he can’t crack the case?
- You get to see the softer side of Myron in One False Move.
- Brenda Slaughter is a character you’ll come to love.
- Some may find this book a bit too soppy.
The Final Detail follows a different path as Myron Bolitar is faced with a different sort of scenario.
In this novel, Bolitar must solve the murder of a former client. Meanwhile, his colleague Esperanza stands wrongly accused.
In the search for answers, Myron finds the only other suspect: himself!
- This story follows a different path.
- You’ll love the twists and turns in this story
- The plot in The Final Detail is a bit out there.
The next Myron Bolitar novel you should read after the final detail is Darkest Fear. In this novel, Myron is left in shock after discovering he has a son.
To make matters even more shocking, the young boy needs a bone marrow transplant to survive.
As if things couldn’t get any worse, the donor has now vanished into thin air.
- Darkest Fear focuses more on Mryon’s past.
- This novel is surprisingly thought-provoking.
- It could be argued that this novel deviates too far from what readers love about the series.
A simple promise to keep a friend’s child from drinking and driving takes a dark turn when the girl goes missing in Promise Me.
To make matters worse for Myron, he was the last person to see her after she called him for help at 2 am.
To solve the mystery, Myron must face his own troubles and deal with the past.
- In this story, the reader learns more about the darkness in Mryon’s life.
- Promise Me features everyone’s favorite Myron Bolitar characters.
- This one’s easy to work out.
The next novel in the Myron Bolitar series is Long Lost. In this novel, things are taken internationally when Myron receives a phone call from an old lover in Paris.
Old flame Terese Collins tells Myron that she once lost a daughter in a car crash but she now has information that might suggest she’s still alive.
She needs Myron’s help to solve the case!
- The story being taken internationally is a neat change.
- We are again given an insight into the protagonist’s past.
- The suspense in this story feels like it has been diluted down.
Live Wire is the penultimate series in the Myron Bolitar series. It follows Bolitar’s search for the husband of a former tennis player.
Myron’s search for the missing husband uncovers more mysteries as he comes across his sister-in-law Kitty, who disappeared with his brother years before.
- Live Wire is an exhilarating story that features a race against time to save two people.
- This story keeps the reader gripped.
- Kitty somewhat takes away some of the suspense created in relation to the missing person’s case.
Home is the final novel in the Myron Bolitar series. It tells the story of two boys from a wealthy family that went missing a decade earlier.
In this book, Myron and Win believe they have located one of the boys. However, they are led down a tunnel of mystery, shock, and intrigue.
This is one of Myron Bolitar’s most explosive cases to date.
- This explosive book is a great way to end the series.
- Everything comes to a good conclusion.
- Unfortunately, this is the last novel in the Myron Bolitar Series.
In this post, I’ve shown you the correct order you have to read the Myron Bolitar book series. As you can see from the order, you should read the series in publication order.
Reading the series in order will ensure you have a good understanding of all the characters throughout the series.
The last thing you want is to learn something important about a character before then being introduced to them in the next story.
Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series is a best-seller. If you haven’t read it already, you seriously have to.
Now you have the order of the series, you have no excuse but to pick up the first book and start reading.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Have To Read The Myron Bolitar Series In Order?
Yes, you do have to read the Myron Bolitar series in order. The same characters feature throughout the series so it is important that you follow the novels in the right order.
What Should You Read After The Myron Bolitar Series?
After the Myron Bolitar series, you should read the Mickey Bolitar series. This is the first Myron Bolitar spin-off series so check it out.
- 20 Must-Read Genre-Blending Literary Fiction Books - May 26, 2023
- 32 Gripping Epic Fantasy Books To Transport You To Another World - May 26, 2023
- 12 Books Like Red, White, And Royal Blue You Will Love - May 17, 2023